The Richland Area Chamber & Economic Development is a thriving and trusted partner to local businesses and the overall economic development in Richland County, Ohio. With over a thousand members, we are seeking an experienced and motivated President/CEO to become the driving force to our chambers' continued success and growth of our community.
POSITION: President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
REPORTS TO: Chamber & RCDG Board of Directors and Executive Committee
SCOPE: This dynamic role will be responsible to the board of directors for the management of the organization and its full range of activities. You will serve as the visible leader of the Chamber demonstrating expertise in strategic planning, membership growth & services, nonprofit governance/operations, fiscal stability, economic development, and compliance.
- Direct office operations and serve as chief HR contact. Manage seven direct reports, with a full staff of 10 full time employees. Primary support to the Chamber and RCDG Boards of Directors, Executive Committee, Governance Committee, and Finance Committee.
- Presents the Board with an annual operating plan including proposed goals, targets and strategies; identifies tactics and initiatives to carry out the plan; monitors and makes amendments as necessary.
- Ensure continued professional development within the organization to maintain and enhance professional competence, incorporate knowledge and fresh insight into new initiatives.
- Provide accurate financial records to the Chamber and RCDG Boards of Directors in conjunction with the bookkeeper.
- Formulate annual budget with board Treasurer for review and approval by the Chamber and RCDG Board of Directors.
- Work with the board Treasurer to ensure the Chamber organizations remain compliant with all legal fiduciary responsibilities and ensure compliance and profitability to include the bi-annual audit and required 990 filing.
- Provide secondary fiduciary oversight on Chamber Foundation funds; monitor income and expenses.
Economic & Workforce Development:
- Support Economic Development and Workforce Directors to ensure all strategic plans & workforce obligations are fulfilled and successful; business retention/expansion, infrastructure, civic innovation, workforce attraction, and regional collaboration with other economic development organizations.
- Manage all related Economic Development and Workforce contracts.
Communications & Community Development:
- Be a community leader, collaborator, and alliance builder to ensure a flourishing economic environment and high quality of life for the business and resident communities.
- Actively networks and collaborates with public officials, business leaders and media to create and strengthen strategic partnerships with the Chamber.
- Maintain close ties with elected officials, groups, and other entities in the community and advise on developments affecting the business community.
- Serve as Ex-officio or voting board member for several organizations as assigned/required.
- Lead the efforts of the Business Advocacy Committee in conjunction with committee chair.
Member & Program Management:
Oversee and assess the schedule, design, budget, implementation of Chamber programs and events in conjunction with the Program & Events Manager. Lead the annual dues meetings with Catalytic Leader members along with the Member Services Coordinator and other related staff members.* Performs additional duties as instructed and assigned by the Board.
*QUALIFICATIONS & DESIRED TRAITS:
Genuine, authentic, honorable and trustworthy.
Acts professionally and with integrity in alignment with Chamber and its community values and expectations.
Experience in working with diverse groups and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion with support of diverse and inclusive programming and experiences.
EDUCATION & FURTHER EXPERIENCE:
An undergraduate or advanced degree is preferred but not essential.
Credentials and certifications in economic development and/or Chamber of Commerce are highly desirable.
Experience in the following areas would be highly advantageous:
- Prior Chamber experience is not necessary but will be considered favorably.
- Non-Profit Management and training (Institute for Organizational Management [IOM] or similar)
- Business retention and expansion.
- Familiarity with local, state, and federal incentive packages and programs (TIF,CID, Enhanced Enterprise Zone, Opportunity Zones, etc.)
- Recruiting talent and supporting start-ups in the tech, innovation, retail, whole health, e-mobility, outdoor recreation, and software sectors.
- Previous professional affiliations and certifications, and/or other association training would be helpful.
ABOUT RICHLAND AREA CHAMBER & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT :
The Richland Area Chamber of Commerce (RACC) has served as the leading organization to support businesses throughout the county since 1899. As an independent, not-for-profit 501(c)6 organization, the Chamber unites approximately 1,000 businesses and professionals to help them become more profitable, thereby expanding the economy of the area. The Mansfield-Richland Area Educational Foundation was founded in 1980 as a 501c3 organization to support the work of the Chamber in the areas of entrepreneurship, leadership development, and economic strengthening.
The Richland Community Development Group (RCDG) was created to fill a void in economic development in the county in 2009. RCDG is dedicated to the enhancement, development, and future of our community’s quality of life for the citizens of Richland County. In 2017, RCDG and the Chamber agreed to affiliate to strengthen economic development initiatives for all businesses in our community. In 2023 this dynamic team secured the following prestigious awards putting them on the map both from a state-wide standpoint as well as nationally;2023 Chamber of the Year awarded by the Chamber of Commerce Executives of Ohio (CCEO) recognizing their priorities on economic prosperity and quality of life. One of three finalists for the national 2023 Chamber of the Year Award by the Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives (ACCE) 2023 Excellence in Marketing & Communications Award from the Ohio Economic Development Association (OEDA) for the Richland Works Project
APPLICATION PROCESS: If you’re ready to be the face of the Chamber & Economic Development as well as the voice of the Richland County area business community, apply with your resume today to
Jessica Johnson, Professional Recruitment Manager of Spherion Mid Ohio.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed through December 13, 2023.
*Cover letters and additional questions can be forwarded to:
Professional Recruitment Manager Spherion Mid Ohio - Professional Division