For more than 15 years, Spherion has been tracking the changing attitudes of the U.S. workforce through its renowned Emerging Workforce® Study. The study identifies three classifications of workers—emergent, migrating and traditional—and the distinct views that define their job satisfaction. Wonder which group you fall into? Answer these questions to find out:
1. Is career management the company’s responsibility or yours?
2. Should promotion be based on company tenure or merit?
3. What is the most important retention factor to you—job security or career growth?
4. Do you prefer a paternalistic management style or one that is more peer-oriented?
5. Do you respect the organizational chart or do you tend to ignore it?
6. Does job change create fear or an opportunity to advance?
Now, compare your answers to the chart below to see what work views define you.
What did you discover? Are you more emergent or traditional? Maybe you share some traditional views but you are moving toward emergent (if so, you’re considered migrating). Spherion’s latest study revealed the U.S. workforce is 24% emergent, 49% migrating and 27% traditional. Where do you fit?
By understanding what type of worker you are, you’ll be able to determine what factors are driving your job satisfaction and what kind of employer is best suited for you!